utorak, 4. prosinca 2007.

Counting

We tend so often to forget how lucky we are. There was this story which went like this:

If we could reduce the world’s population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all existing human ratios remaining the same, the demographics would look something like this:
60 Asians
12 Europeans
5 US Americans and Canadians
8 Latin Americans
14 Africans

49 would be female
51 would be male

82 would be non-white
18 white

89 heterosexual
11 homosexual


33 would be Christian
67 would be non-Christian

5 would control 32% of the entire world’s wealth, and all of them would be US citizens

80 would live in substandard housing

24 would not have any electricity(And of the 76% that do have electricity, most would only use it for light at night.)

67 would be unable to read

1 (only one) would have a college education.
50 would be malnourished and 1 dying of starvation

33 would be without access to a safe water supply
1 would have HIV
1 near death
2 would be near birth
7 people would have access to the Internet


If to take a look at the world from this condensed perspective,the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes evident.
Think of it!

If you woke up this morning with more health than sickness,you are luckier than the million that will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced a war,
a loneliness of an imprisonment,
an agony of tortures
or a famine
You are happier, than 500 million persons in this world.

If you are able to go to church, mosque or synagogue without fear of harassment, arrest, torture or death,you are happier, than 3 billion persons in this world.

If there is a meal in your refrigerator,
if you are dressed and have got shoes,
if you have a bed and a roof above your head,
you are better off, than 75% of people in this world.
If your parents are still alive and still married,then you are a rarity.
If you have a bank account,
money in your purse
and there is some trifle in your coin box,
you belong to 8% of well-provided people in this world.

If you read this text, you are blessed three times as much, because
Someone has thought of you;
You do not belong to those 2 billion people which cannot read
and... you have had your computer!


Someone has told once:
Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like nobody's watching,
Sing like nobody's listening,
Be surprised, like you were born yesterday,
Tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything,
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.
This is your World!
And you are able to make changes!
Hasten to do good works!




This is the view from my bedroom window, thought it was a nice sunset, looked even nicer irl. Why I remembered this upper story? Well...I went to buy something for dinner and as I was waiting in line, I saw that cashier woman looking familiar; looked at her name tag and remembered: we went to the same class. And then I looked at her and thought: gee...wow...we both went to med school and now she works as a cashier in here.

I scanned my life from a third persons view in few seconds:

I have a diploma and a doctor's title, a good job, two beautiful kids, nice place to live, I still look quite acceptable, dress nice, can afford all these great things for dinner and a bottle of good red wine which I'll pay without a blink...I was really ashamed for doing so well.
And as I was thinking about a total understatement story like "I'm doing okay" the cashier smiled, I asked if we went to school together and realized this is NOT my classmate.
But it was a good point to stop and count my blessings.

And on the way home, my eyes stopped on a woman's hand....a nice gentle female hand with a golden ring on it. And my first reaction was: oh, she's married, lucky her (something which still remained from this ex relationship of mine).... but then I looked into her face...empty, tired, perhaps even really sick. Hopeless.
So I started thinking...she might be married, but to a really bad guy who doesn't love her and treats her bad, she's totally unhappy...and as for that ring, it doesn't mean a thing to her.

So...I guess I'm quite happy the way I am. I'm quite doing alright. I'm happy for being me and leading my life. Wouldn't like to trade with anyone else in this world. I am really happy. And I should be counting my blessings a lil more often. Like seeing my two angels sleeping like this:



And when I brought my kids into bed and was feeling really tired and exhausted from the day, I thought of someone who didn't sleep, but worked all day and night...has to drive through a strom now for more work and just before that came to spend his precious little time he has just to be with me....and I just thought: wow. And you doubted this guy.

Lucky silly girl.

Nema komentara: